draw straight plumb lines

hi there,
is there a way I can automatically draw a straight plumb line (horizontal and vertical) over standing X-ray of the hip and pelvis to calculate height difference of the hips and iliac wings

acutally I use the measure tool but I have to pay attention that the lines I draw are exactly straight with no inclination

In other DICOM viewers I've found that using the same tool holding Ctrl or Shift results in a straight vertical or horizontal line you can use for that purpose

Oct 31, 2015 05:20 AM
try holding SHIFT while drawing the line :-)

Nov 3, 2015 06:21 PM
got it.

to be more precise you have to hold SHIFT just after starting drawing the line.

if you hold SHIFT before drawing the line it has no effect, that's why I did not notice this before.

thanks for the hint!!!

Nov 5, 2015 06:30 AM
is this on the manual too?

Nov 5, 2015 06:31 AM
If you hold Shift before pressing the left mouse button, the length measurement is overridden by panning.

This is from the manual:

"Press Shift while drawing the segment to make it either vertical or horizontal."

Nov 6, 2015 01:25 AM
you know... users never read the manual :-)

Nov 6, 2015 12:04 PM
I wonder if the same "SHIFT trick" to draw straight lines could be enabled for the angle tool as well.

I often read standing LL foot X-rays study where I have to calculate the calcaneal inclination angle, AKA "calcaneal pitch"(check Radiopaedia for some examples).

so it would be nice to easily draw "straight" baseline when tracing the first segment of the angle tool.

actually I'm using the deviation tool as a workaround but it adds additional unneeded graphic elements such as the vertical plumb line and the "delta" values

consider that I usually take screenshots of those measures and print them on paper for the referring physicians so I'd prefer to only have the angle measure displayed since other measures could be misleading to them.

so I still have to use the normal angle tool and pay attention that it's baseline is 100% straight.

Nov 5, 2016 03:27 PM
OK, it's a good idea to add the "SHIFT trick" to the angle tool.

Nov 10, 2016 07:05 PM
I'm glad you liked it!!!

Nov 10, 2016 09:33 PM