Pixelated image while browsing in MIP (MPR)

First of all, i wanted to thank you for this amazing piece of software. It really helps in my daily practise.
I have a little problem though. While browsing a serie in MIP/MinIP mode, the image shown is pixelated and i can't get the right information.
When i stop browsing, the image come back in full resolution.

I can send you a video capture if you want more explanation :)

Jan 22, 2017 02:17 PM
by montasser
Thank you for your kind words!
Rendering MIP images requires substantial computing power. So we have to balance between fluidity and quality when interacting with volumes in MIP mode. This is called "progressive rendering" and cannot be avoided with slower machines.

Jan 22, 2017 09:18 PM
I have an i7 6th generation processor with 12 gigs of RAM. Can't be that avoided with not so slow machines?

Feb 10, 2017 09:58 AM
by montasser
I have the same problems with a little older machine, but powerful anyway (I think) i7 3770 with 16Gb of RAM, 256 Gb SSD and an 8Gb memory video card.
is there a way to do that, or I must buy a workstation to achieve that.

Feb 13, 2017 10:37 AM
by cezar matau
How I understand it, the problem is that the rendering is CPU based. Any CPU, even a fast one, can only run 2-8 threads parallel. The GPUs can compute much more in parallel.

We have to wait till they release the GPU based version.

Feb 13, 2017 02:54 PM
by aaaaaaa
Increasing thickness of a MIP slab quickly "saturates" even the fastest modern CPUs (if you want to browse real-time, full screen).
GPU rendering will alleviate this problem.
Currently what you can do is to make the 3D MPR window as small as possible to reduce the number of calculations. We will also add the option to sacrifice some fluidity and get better intermediate resolution instead.

Feb 13, 2017 09:16 PM